The following information is valid only for web platforms where Smartforms plugins are available.
Form Data List is an application that displays form's submitted data in a list. See Deploying SmartForms applications to learn how to add the application to your website.
The Form Data List has an admin facility for building the list by selecting which form/s to include and which fields to display in the list for a specific form (see "Edit Configuration" below).
This admin facility is available only to users that have one of these roles assigned:
"Edit Configuration" admin option allows you to build a multi-column list that shows submitted data of a form.
Configuring for the first time
When the Form Data List application is added to a website page, the application displays the message "Resource is not configured, please contact administrator".
The application will be configured when you define configuration settings and add at least one form. To do this:
- Click on "Edit Configuration" link.
- In the "List Configuration" screen that will open, define the following configuration settings:
Data access - this setting defines which type of data to display, available options are:
Live (Production campaign/s) records - the records from a campaign where the form data was or currently is being collected through Form Display application (if you have more than one live campaign the records from all live campaigns will be included);
Stopped campaign/s records - the records from the campaigns that were collecting live data but now are stopped.
Select "Test records" first to fully test that the Form Data List is configured correctly. Note, if a form is still under development, the test records will be deleted every time new changes are committed, so you would need to make new submisions to see them in the Form Data List.
- Data access level - this setting defines which access level to apply, the following options are available:
Restrict viewing to own records only - this option limits access to the data records that are created by a logged-in user;
Note, if you selected "Restrict viewing to own records only" option and chosen "test records", the submissions done through Preview Form facility will not be displayed, the facility works in a sandbox environment and the user is "Anonymous". Own entries submitted through Form Test Display application will be shown for logged-in user.
Number of records per page - this setting defines how many records will be displayed in the Form Data List at a time. Icons to navigate back and forth through the records will be automatically added if you have more than specified number of records.
- Click on "Save Changes" button to save the configuration settings and then click on "Add first form" link to open "Adding a New Form to the List" screen.
Adding a New Form
In the "Adding a New Form to List" screen you add a form whose submitted data you want to be displayed in the Form Data List. You add the form by selecting it in the drop-down list that contains all SmartForms Library forms (together wth the folders they reside in).
As soon as the selection is made you are returned back to "List Configuration" screen that now shows the selected form in the "Selected forms" table.
The "Selected forms" table has three columns that for each added form shows:
- the name of the form ("Form Name" column);
- which form data (columns) will be displayed when the form is selected in the Form Data List ("Form Details" column);
- third column has two links:
"Edit" - to open "Form Display Details" screen where you can add/edit/delete which data to display;
"Delete" - to remove the form from the configuration.
You can add as many forms to the Form Data List as you want. The Form Data List can show only one form's submitted data at a time. When you add more than one form in the Form Data List configuration, the drop-down list labelled "Form" and containing all added forms will be automatically placed at the top of the Form Data List.
The configuration settings will be applied to all forms.
Use "Add another form" link to add more forms.
When you have defined the configuration settings and have added at least one form you can click "Close Configuration" button to return to the page where you placed Form Data List application. Notice that there is a "Seach By" dropbox and some column headers have an "Order by" icon.
The "Search By" dropbox is populated with the fields (columns) that have "Can search by" checkbox ticked (see "Adding/Modifying/Deleting form data columns" section below). For example if you have just added a form, the "Search By" dropdown-box will have only one entry, "Tracking Code", as by default, the "Can search by" checkbox is ticked for "Tracking Code" column. If you make a selection in the "Search By" dropdown-box the option/s for entering a search value will depend of selected field type:
for TEXT field there will be a textbox to enter a search value, press ENTER or click on "Search" icon. The search performed on records has "contains" pattern rather than "exact equals".
for INTEGER or FLOAT field you first select one of the following options:
- is after
- is before
- is between
And then enter a value in the texbox, for the third option there will be another textbox.
for DATE field you first select one of the following options:
- is more than
- is between
- is less than
And then pick a date from the popup calendar, or two dates for the second option.
"Order By" icon/s appears in the header of the column that have "Can order by" checkbox ticked (see "Adding/Modifying/Deleting form data columns" section below). For example, if you have just added a form, the "Date submitted" column will have the icon as "Can order by" checkbox is ticked by default for this column. When no direction of ordering is specified the icon shows two arrows pointing up and down. Clicking on the icon will enable ordering, the data records in the Form Data List will be sorted by the value in the column in the ascending (arrow pointing down) or descending (arrow pointing up) order and the column's header will be capitalised.
Adding/Modifying/Deleting data columns for a form
When you click "Edit" link for a form in the "Selected forms" table, it will open "Form Display Details" screen where you can add/edit/delete columns to display in the Form Data List for this form.
Each column is presented as a panel:
- the header of the panel displays the name of the selected data field;
- in the body of the panel there are settings that you can change: Column name, Format (present only for Date type) and two checkboxes "Can search by" and "Can order by" (when present);
- in the footer of the panel the following functional links are located:
"Move Up" - to move the column so it would appear before the previous column when displayed in the Form Data List. Note: if you click this link on the first column, the column will become the last;
"Move Down" - to move the column so it would appear after the next column, in the Form Data List;
"Delete Column" - to remove the column from the Form Data List;
"Add another column below" - to add a new column below this column.
You can modify any colum's settings, re-arrange columns, delete a column or add a new one. When you finished your modification click "Save change" button to save then and return to "List Configuration" screen.
Adding a column
The following columns are assigned automatically when you add a form:
- Tracking code - automatically generated code that uniquely identifies form data record. The code consists of only 8 characters and can be easily read back or quoted by a customer when making inquiries about the submitted form. This column doesn't have "Order by" setting as the unique code is generated randomly and sorting by it doesn't make sense. Searching for this code on the other hand is very useful, that is why the "Can search by" option is ticked.
- Date Started - the date a user started the form. "Can order by" option is available but not ticked by default.
- Date Submitted - the date a user submitted the form. "Can order by" option is ticked so you can see the submissions in the chronological order.
- PDF auto - automatically generated PDF file that displays all entries a user made on the form. Click on PDF icon to download the file.
NOTE! If you are going to use auto-PDF make sure that it is formattted correctly, see Enabling Auto-PDF for guidelines.
Any other columns you want to add to the list will be coming from your form, they are the components on the form for which Create Index setting is ticked.
The following form components have Create Index property and hence can be added as columns to the Form Data List when this property is ticked:
To add a new column
- Click on "Add another column below" link to add a column. The link is located after each existing column, so you can place a new column exactly where you want it to be.
- In the "Add Form Data Column" popup screen all the fields you can add as columns will be available in the drop-down list. Select the field you want to add.
- The column will be added and you can modify its settings as needed.
- Save yourt changes and close the configuration. The Form Display List now has a new column: